Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday Memory

When I was young, my family took lots of road trips. Why, or when, we stopped is something I've always wondered about. The trips just kind of dwindled out over the years.

Anyway.

Sometimes, as a special treat, we'd stop at rest stops or parks, as opposed to just a quick pit-stop at a gas station. At these parks, Dad would walk around with we chil'rens and point out unique tree knots and holes. "They're Gnome Homes", he'd tell us.

{ }

For a short time, my two younger brothers and I shared a room. Probably long past most kids out-grew them, my dad would tell us stories that he had written: all centering around Alvin, a wizened old wizard who lived at the tip-top of a mountain. The adventure always began the same, with the admonition to close our eyes and keep them closed. He then sprinkled a scented faery dust over each of us, which was inevitably followed by much giggling. I loved that smell, and more, I loved the sound. The sound of the aromatic dust being crushed between his large fingers, magnified a hundred times for the simple reason that my eyes were tightly closed. I think that sound will stay with me for the rest of my life. I can hear it now, can almost smell those herbs ... and still, after all these years, I feel relaxation tickling at the fringes of my consciousness.

He'd then guide us up, up, up into the blue sky; even higher we'd soar, into the lightest and fluffiest of clouds. Once he knew he had our unwavering attention, the adventure would begin ...

We always visited Alvin on horses - Star, Nina and Stardust were their names. Dad would pat our bellies to the rhythm of the horses' hooves. The adventures were never epic, but always captured the imagination.

About a year ago I asked my dad what the faery dust actually was. It was a small vial of crushed herbs (Chamomile, Rosemary) and ... sparkles. Where had he found such a thing? "Oh, at a local mystical shoppe", was his nonchalant answer.

{ }

My father taught me about innocence, about childlike wonder, about making the mundane - magical.

{ }

P.S.

There's nothing better than listening to The King's Singers when you're hurtling down the highway for long distances.

No comments: