Sunday, June 22, 2008

Letters to God

I just read someone's Letter to God. In it, she said that it's scary to follow His will - she fears it will be "riddled with discomfort". "Once I start wandering from Satan's influence, he's going to make it troublesome for me".

Why?

I once believed that as well: that Satan had some kind of power over me, that he was hell-bent on making the Path of God a difficult one to follow, that he, well, existed.

Yes. I just said it.

One thing I don't believe in is "should"s. Guilt, though I sometimes still feel it, has no place in my life, and I do my best to rid myself of it. When I do something, I ultimately do it for myself. I do things because it feels right, not because someone or some One tells me to. Most of all, I don't believe that there is an entity whose sole purpose is to trip me up. I do enough of that on my own.

"I'm sorry for what I do ... and don't do. If I simply did what you've asked of me, I would feel you."

Reading her letter made me feel sad. We try and try and try to do things to feel God's presence, when in reality, it is in the not doing, in the quietest of moments, that He can be found and felt. When we align ourselves with ourselves, it is then that we can feel God. When we become true to ourselves, at peace with the knowledge that we are imperfect beings by nature and that no amount of forcing can make us otherwise, a whole world of serenity and possibilities opens up to us.

{ }

I've spent a lot of time hating and mistrusting God, or at least the God of my fathers, the one I grew up believing in. He had a lot of "should"s attached to everything, and I didn't like that. For years, I looked at the Great Divine as being female. It was easier to palate, to assign more loving and less restrictive values to.

Right now? I think gender in regards to the Divine is irrelevant. It just Is, and that's enough for me.

No comments: