Thursday, April 8, 2010

Climbing the not-so-corporate ladder

My boss approached me last Wednesday with an interesting proposition. After discussing it with The Wife, I accepted.

But first, a bit of back story:

From February to November of 2008, I was a Roadie for the Music Company that I work for. Kind of. I mean, I was on the road a lot. I visited Middle and High School orchestra directors in cities surrounding Home Base (ie: the Corporate Office) and provided services and supplies. It was a great gig, but it was fast paced and high stress. I didn't handle those parts very well, so in October or so, I asked to go back to the store and do sales there.

They agreed. And so it was that, after they found a replacement for me (whom I trained), I went back to store clerk-dom.

Well, the replacement didn't work out so much. Without going into details here, suffice it to say that my manager approached me with a Question:

Would I like to go back to being a Road Representative for the company?

My answer was a resounding, "Yes".

So I'm settling into my new-old routine, and loving it. I feel, in my heart of hearts, that I am better equipped to handle whatever stresses may come my way this time around.

You know what's funny? With the faster pace, I was anticipating having to eat more to compensate for the energy expended. Oddly enough, I've found the opposite to be true - I'm perfectly content with my PB&J sammitch that I bring for my lunch-on-the-fly. I've started eating the "25% less sugar" counterpart of the Quaker Oats Chewy Granola Bar I used to eat for breakfast. After a few days of my body going into shock in the mornings ("ZOMG, WTFBBQ? Less SUGAR??"), I've adjusted quite nicely, and only need the one bar to tie me over 'til lunch time.

And, as long as I play my cards right (ie: coming in to work at 7:25 am), I can leave a little earlier than I used to as a clerk. Instead of pulling a 9 - 6 shift, I'm doing a 7:30 - 4:30 shift. I'm rather liking it. Right now, I'm spending most of that evening time gearing up for the move, but soon --very soon-- I want to be using the time to do more yoga and maybe even walk around the neighborhood.

Anyway, that's what's keeping me away from the keyboard lately. Wish me luck on this new adventure!

2 comments:

Notebook of Littleriver said...

Keep playing keyboard, dude, given it up for yoga. I hope that you job changing does well for you. I also leave at 6am in the morning, kills my energy, good luck.

Notebook of Littleriver said...

I have rice cake, not the Quaker oats brand which has more sugar and taste bad but Lundberg which is very crisp and put natural peanut butter and cherry all fruit preserves. This is what we do in hurricanes because it needs no frig for a while. In Europe they have a tofu that comes in a tube and one can spread it like cream cheese. Whatever you do try to eat whole grains and good luck to you. Whole Food Market is know to be expensive but not on tofu, tofu sausages, tofu dogs, grain in bulk one has to compare prices, go shopping there often!!!