Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A long, long time ago

I can still remember how that music used to make me feel ...

I helped a kid and her teacher buy a viola today. The teacher, after hearing that I play viola m'self, asked if I have a studio. I wistfully responded in the negative, saying that I did once but simply have not had the time. We commiserated about the sad state of affairs in the Viola pedagogy line of things - there simply aren't enough teachers.

Would I be interested in teaching in the Allen area?

Wow.

We talked about teaching through schools, which I wouldn't be able to do because of my schedule ... what about independently owned and operated Music Studios?

Ideally, I'd like to take lessons for about six months; getting back into the swing of things, as it were. From there, I'd like to see if there is indeed some space to rent at a studio. If there is, and at a reasonable price, I'd like to set up a studio - per'aps on a Saturday. But I cherish my Saturdays, especially now that Merry isn't working.

Wouldn't it be neat to move most of my efforts into teaching, taking on a part time job to fill in the rest of the time? I could teach through schools on certain days, and work somewhere on t'others. I have connections, people that could potentially help me beef out a studio. I could try the Middle School I attended, way back in the day. I could try this lady. Or any of the three viola teachers I've had in the past.

Unless I had a thriving studio, it wouldn't be sensible to leave full-time Corporate America.

Ah, dreams can be beguiling ... and reality can be cold and harsh.

No comments: