Thursday, November 30, 2006

meine kitty

Dimitri made a friend last night.

For those of you who don't follow Texas' weather religiously, yesterday was 80 degrees (F). Today it's 30 degrees. So I have been resigning myself to the fact that creepy crawlies would begin taking up residence in our home.

Anyway. Dimitri was in my closet for about an hour, fascinated with something or another. I didn't notice his absence for a while, but started to get concerned when he came out of the closet (literally, not ... y'know) and was still very captivated with something. Anyone who owns a cat knows that their attention span is generally very ... small, and so any span of quiet, unless it is spent sleeping, is cause for inspection of the situation. (not unlike with small children)

I turned on the light (for I had been quite comfy in my warm bed). There, in the middle of my room was my cat, having a stare-down with a cockroach. Neither of them was moving.

Dimitri looked at me. I looked him directly in the eye and asked, "Is it alive?" and then pointedly looked at the 'roach, then back at my cat. He looked at the bug, then looked at me. I asked again, "Is it alive?" and looked at the roach and then my cat.

He took the que, and poked the cockroach with his paw, and the offending vermin began to run around in small circles (which I took to mean that Dimitri had been "playing" with him for some time, and he, the cockroach, was injured).

I took the situation in hand, or rather shoe, and SMUSHED the bug. Very thouroughly.

{ }

And this morning, as it was quite chilly out, I grabbed my coat which had been hanging unused from the corner of my bedpost for about a month (which means the coat was touching the ground that entire time).

As I put it on, I heard the *plink* of something dropping from the coat to the floor. I looked down and saw a cockroach nursing a head injury.



I opted not to wear a coat today.



*shudder*

No comments: