Thursday, May 6, 2010

Simplify, simplify!


I love that admonition, issued from Thoreau all those years ago. In simplicity, there is peace of both mind and spirit.

I have been overcomplicating things. Again. I caught myself at it as I was writing in my journal just a few minutes ago. In it, I was writing about how I'm feeling slightly out of sorts, which I attribute to a lack of meditation. I used the excuse of packing my altar for the move as a way to get out of the habit.

Anyway, I unpacked most of my altar and it's many and varied accoutrements last night, but can't seem to find most of my votives or my pillar candle. In my journal, I wrote, "I'll finish finding my candles tonight and meditate."

That's when I realized that, though the lighting of certain of my candles is calming and ritualisic in nature, I shouldn't base my practice upon whether I find these candles or not. In the boxes I unpacked last night I found my Quan Yin statue, my tea lights, and all of my tarot decks. What's stopping me?

Simplify, simplify indeed!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Notebook of Littleriver said...

Simple start leads to great things, always beginners mind