Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The hand of death

There was a death in my wife's extended family this past weekend. It has affected us all, in many different ways. Merry was close to this aunt, but hasn't really mourned her loss fully, as she has been busy taking care of her mother's needs. Her mother was this aunt's caretaker and companion for about 15 years, and is beside herself with grief and worry about what the future holds.

I am in an interesting position to be of assisstance to the whole family, especially my wife. I can finally be there for her the way she was there for me through my father's untimely death, and it is an opprotunity that I am grateful to take. It is challenging at times to center myself at such an energy-charged time, but I have still been spending a few minutes per day in front of my altar, taking the time to give thanks to the Goddess for my many blessings, and to pray that both of us will have the strength to shoulder this burden - together.

This experience, despite all the painful feelings it has brought up for both of us, has served to strengthen our relationship, our bond, and our resolve to look at our many blessings - instead of dwelling in the negativity that sometimes seems to surround us.

Taking the time to actively give thanks to your Higher Power, whoever it may be, is something I can't stress the importance of enough. Not only does it draw you closer to the Loving Divine that surrounds each of us, it serves as a wake-up call, a reminder to your Self that, hey, things ain't all THAT bad!

Try it for a few days. See if it doesn't change your perspective, even just a little. Sometimes "a little" is all it takes to tip the scale, after all.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Notebook of Littleriver said...

Love your entries, seems we have lots in common. Gassho