Monday, October 13, 2008

The kindness of strangers

I'm being a bad girl this morning. I'm sitting outside at "our" Starbucks (the one we frequent so often that we know all of the baristas by name ... and vice versa) ... and I'm not getting a drink! I brought my 'puter, my knitting, and my breakfast and just kind of grabbed a table. It's nice weather, so I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Just a moment or two ago, I spilt some of the milk I brought (don't worry, I didn't cry). It wasn't too bad, so I just swished it away with my hand. No big deal.

But someone at the condiment bar saw and rushed out with a handful of napkins and a smile.

How cool is that?! That simple act just made my morning.

Isn't it funny how much we rely on outside forces to set the tone of our days? If someone cuts you off on the way to work, your mood sours and it could be hours before it brightens again.

The best days I have are ones in which I create my own happiness. When you choose what affects you and what doesn't, your day seems to go so much more smoothly.

That simple act affected me. I feel more attentive, excitedly watching for other little happinesses.

:D

No comments: